Continuance granted in Hawk’s domestic assault case

Brad Hicks • May 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM

The court appearance for State Rep. David Hawk that was originally scheduled for Monday in Greene County Sessions Court has been continued to July 16.

Hawk was arrested by officials with the Greene County Sheriff’s Department on March 18 on domestic assault charges after he allegedly grabbed and struck his wife during an altercation at the couple’s Greene County home.

According to the affidavit of complaint filed in Greene County Sessions Court at the time of the alleged incident, the sheriff’s department was contacted in reference to a domestic assault report. The document states Hawk committed the offense by striking, grabbing and knocking his wife, Crystal Hawk, to the ground. It also states Crystal Hawk had bruising and swelling “on and around” her right eye, an abrasion to the upper and lower right side of her lip and a bruise on her left arm.

The affidavit also states Crystal Hawk told officials that she was holding the couple’s 11-month-old daughter at the time of the reported assault.

An offense report taken by the Greene County Sheriff’s Department sates that Crystal Hawk had “obvious signs on her face and arms of an assault against her.” That report further stated that she told officials that she and her husband had been drinking the evening prior to the alleged assault and, early Sunday morning, David Hawk began looking through her cell phone and became angry.

According to the offense report, Crystal Hawk told authorities that the two argued throughout the course of the morning and, at around 8 a.m., he struck her in the face with his hand. She also told authorities that after her husband struck her, he took the couple’s child and went to a neighbor’s residence, according to the offense report.

David Hawk appeared in Greene County Sessions Court the day following his arrest, where he entered a not guilty plea. He was released on a $500 bond following that court hearing.

Following the March hearing, Hawk gave a statement to the Greeneville Sun that said “I am innocent and did not do what has been alleged against me. I did not harm my wife.”

According to the Associated Press, he later told a local TV station: “Yesterday, my wife had a gun and told me she was going to put a bullet in my head, while I was holding my baby. At that time, I escaped to safety with my daughter.”

He was scheduled to once again appear in court Monday, but was granted a continuance.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos