Register warns Unicoi residents of solicitation

Brad Hicks • Mar 14, 2012 at 10:14 PM

ERWIN — Unicoi County Register of Deeds Debbie Tittle wants to alert citizens of recent solicitations from a company offering to sell information that can be acquired for free at the Unicoi County Courthouse.

According to Tittle, some county residents have received solicitation from a company that is looking to sell them property profiles.

The company states it will provide the party a copy of the “only document that identifies them as the property owner” of a particular address by a recently recorded transferred title on the property, a release from Tittle’s office said. The profile provides information where one can find the property address, owner’s name, comparable values, legal description or parcel identification number, property history, neighborhood demographics and a public and private schools report.

The solicitation goes on to read that records obtained through public information show a deed was recorded in the party’s name that indicates their ownership and interest in the specified property and gives a description of the property. It also states that upon receipt of an $89 processing fee, the request will be submitted and the process will be initiated. The solicitation also states the company is not a government agency, Tittle said.

Tittle said citizens who have been solicited whom she has heard from thus far have been parties in recent realty transactions. She also said most of the information contained in the solicitation is available to citizens through various records in office at the Unicoi County Courthouse at no charge.

“I always reassure citizens who record their deeds or other important documents pertinent to their property in the register’s office not to worry if they get misplaced or even destroyed because they can easily be reproduced from the official records of the registry,” Tittle said. “If property owners in Unicoi County need any of the information that is listed through this solicitation that is available through our local records, I would be glad to assist them in obtaining it.”

Recommended for You