Summer is around the corner and before we know it, we'll be gathering up the kiddos and heading to the beach or pool for some sun and fun. Kids can make great memories playing in the water and it's a great way for the entire family to play together. Just be sure to follow some of these easy tips to keep everyone safe and happy:
1. Review water safety rules with your kids before you go to make sure they know what to expect. Make sure there is a lifeguard on duty while kids are in the pool. Stay in the water with your younger children, especially if they are not strong swimmers.
2. Consider using a floatation jacket or a personal floatation device for small children. Stay with them at all times.
3. Use a kiddie pool if available for young children who don't yet swim, they can splash and romp in the water without being tempted to go to deeper water.
4. Take a child CPR class before summer gets here. Being able to respond to an actual emergency can be lifesaving in case of an accident.
5. Sign your kids up for swimming lessons with a certified instructor. Kids will learn safety tips and proper technique for swimming and water survival. There are classes suitable for kids of all ages, even infants.
6. Instruct kids not to swallow pool water as it only takes 10 particles of Crypto to make them ill.
7. If you have young children, take frequent potty breaks to prevent accidents in the pool.
8. Reapply sunscreen often as tots skin is very sensitive and prone to burning. Use a higher SPF for fair-skinned children.
9. Allow 30 minutes after meals or snacks to allow food to digest and prevent stomach cramping.
10. Keep hydrated. The power of the sun and activity in the water can cause dehydration.
11. After pool time, be sure to bathe to wash the chemicals off kids' skin. Their sensitive skin can develop rashes or discomfort from pool play.
12. Encourage kids not to play by the drain in the bottom of the pool, the suction can easily capture little fingers and toes.
It's been a long winter for many of us, so enjoy as much of the summer as you can!