That is the reason that the Carter County Sherif’s Department’s Auxiliary has begun a new toy drive.
Auxiliary Chairwoman Susan Reece and Secretary Ann Stout said they have worked closely with the Carter County Schools to identify children who might not get toys from any other means.
Reece said the auxiliary’s list contains the names of 145 boys and girls. All are in elementary school.
The auxiliary has received help from businessman Steve and Ashley Grindstaff.
“Ashley has become a member,” Stout said.
The effort has also received a lot of help from the Key Club of Unaka High School.
“They have been very involved,” Reece said.
Stout said the easiest way to help the effort is to purchase a new toy and place it in the barrels the auxiliary has in place at several locations in the county. Those locations are:
• Appalachian Printing, 630 W. C St.;
• Edward Jones Investments, 305 Lawson Ave.;
• Curt Alexander Edward Jones Investments, 401 Hudson Drive;
• Elizabethan International Paper, 152 Iodent Way;
• Sycamore Shoals State Historic Park, 1651 W. Elk Ave.;
• United Way of Elizabethton/Carter County, 210 South Hills Drive;
•Northeast State Community College, Elizabethton Campus, 386 Highway 91;
•Big Lots, 791 W. Elk Ave.
•Valley Forge Auctions and Wholesale, 412 Cherokee Park Drive;
•Ingles Market, 768 W. Elk Ave.;
•Walgreens Pharmacy, 214 Broad St.